Rapid Migration of a Legacy Java Monolith for a Major Retail Brand
Find out how we helped a grocery giant tackle a two-year standstill and the loss of key team members to conquer a critical deadline.
A major online grocery brand was struggling with the migration of its legacy Java monolith, ATG Dynamo, which was over a decade old.
The previous team had spent two years on the migration but with little progress. Key team members left, leaving the project in limbo. With a critical deadline looming, the company approached Egen for help.
- The client had a tight deadline for onboarding a major food brand in February.
- Over 40 crucial endpoints were still left to be migrated, including critical functions like add to cart, checkout, and payment processing.
- The company's front-end teams were not in sync, further complicating the migration process.
- There was little documentation, processes, or environment consistency, making it difficult to understand the existing codebase.
Our team, consisting of experienced developers and experts, began working on the project in November. The first month was dedicated to researching and understanding the existing system.
We then fast-tracked the migration by adopting a Kanban approach and taking ownership of all aspects of the project, from ticket descriptions to acceptance criteria.
- In just 5 months, our team successfully migrated all 40 endpoints and even delivered more than what the client initially asked for, including additional tech-related changes and upgrades.
- Our team became the go-to resource for anything related to the cart as we built technical and domain expertise throughout the project.
- The client acknowledged our agility, ownership mindset, and rapid delivery in meetings and all-hands calls.
Our team's agile approach, domain expertise, and dedication to the project enabled us to successfully migrate the legacy Java monolith, meeting the client's critical deadline.
With this project behind us, we look forward to supporting their next phase of modernization.
You might also like
How AI and Personalized Marketing are Transforming Retail Sales
How AI/ML, CDP, personalization, and BI are revolutionizing retail, fashion, and beauty. Dive into brand examples from Sephora, ThredUp, and H&M.Read article
19 Cloud Computing Statistics You Need to Know in 2023
By 2025, over 100 zettabytes of data will be stored in the cloud—50% of all global data storage.Read article
5 Ways to Transform Grocery Retail with an AI-Driven Data Strategy
Explore 5 AI-driven data strategies for grocery retail. Learn how to solve challenges like workforce management, pricing, and disconnected CX.Read article
Copilot and the Future of AI-Assisted Coding: Insights from a Software Engineer
GitHub's Copilot is an IDE-integrated tool that streamlines coding by offering real-time text completion suggestions, predicting what developers might type next.Read article
Data Mesh and Event-Driven Architecture: Unleashing Healthcare Data Potential
Harness the power of data mesh and event-driven architecture. Streamline healthcare data management, drive innovation, and unlock lasting growth.Read article
Unlocking Hidden Revenue: Optimizing Data Systems for a Leading Car Retailer
Explore how a leading care retailer teamed up with us to optimize workflows, boost security, and uncover hidden revenue.Read article
How an HC & Tech Services Provider Optimized Scalability, Agility, and Security
Discover how a human capital and tech services provider unlocked the power of cloud infrastructure to optimize scalability, agility, and security.Read article
Egen Cuts Sifter's Infrastructure Costs by Over 30%
Learn how Sifter, an online grocery platform, reduced infrastructure costs by over 30%, allowing the startup to focus on growth and profitability.Read article
The Rise of Chief Data Officers in Retail
How CDOs drive revenue growth, enable analytics, and empower data-driven decision-making.Read article